Denial – Circus
Denial/Circus > Anger
Upgrades:Getting the Timeclock, Vorpal blade
What player learns: using the Timeclock, collectible engine
Special Areas: Madame Pris
Transition: Shock → Denial will be (optional) Alice in a mining cart, running, being chased by enemies from the previous stage. Falling with the cart into Denial, turning into a raft.
Denial is the second stage of grief Alice encounters upon her return to Wonderland. It hints at the shattered reality of Wonderland - islands floating in the sky, scattered toys and teapots - but Denial paints the scene with such lovely light, color, music, and sound that we’re briefly lulled into believing everything is alright.
The White Rabbit Plush is Alice's companion, sometimes running ahead of Alice to guide the way, other times jumping into Alice’s arms for a ride. He delivers dialog and provides for Alice a companion to talk to (rarely to talk with).
Rabbit is Alice’s curiosity projecting itself forward into the unknown. Alice expresses her fear and wonderment to Rabbit throughout the journey.
Cheshire Cat appears from a darker place within Alice’s mind. He knows just how terrible things are but is characteristically oblique. “The best lessons are learned the hard way.” He derides Alice’s relationship with Rabbit - not only because Rabbit seems to lack a brain but also because “Rabbits are fine to ruminate and stew but one in your belly will take you further than a lucky paw.”
- Alice arrives at the Denial Realm; it's a huge Amusement park. She walks around and sees posters for The Circus who has reached "town" she goes to visit.
- She helps them rebuild and rework the place for their grand opening.
- She sees the ride of the "horror house" which is the ride towards Queensland (anger), no one is willing to recognize that ride in the amusement park.
- She visits The Botanical Garden to collect tickets or objectives to open the various rides, there are mini games, she eventually opens the Horror house ride.
- At the "night" the circus is finally ready to open it's grand show Alice is kidnapped and forced to sing/dance and is forced to dress in a costume of a harlequin.
- The shows goes on and on, eventually Alice escapes the circus to the Horror ride towards Queensland.
There will be flashes from the Asylum to Denial. "Agents of reality" (undefined) will attack the circus and Alice will help to defend it.
Alice will see Inmates from the Asylum as attractions inside the Amusement park as Inmates at those times were ridiculed and shown for amusement.
A fortuneteller booth will be located on the Denial stage and Alice will visit it a few times over the course of the game (undefined).
Alice will point out to the Cosplaying characters how "wrong" their costumes are, As in the original wonderland Hatter was short and whimsical but In this world Hatter is very tall with a large nose.
All of these rides and places are located inside the Amusement park.
The various characters that are "cosplaying" known wonderland characters at the beginning are "good" but are turning on Alice later on.